I was driving home from a great girl’s day out on Saturday and did some reflecting on my life and thought I would let you peek into the heart of Kara while I reflect on turning 30.
I think it is only a big deal to turn 30 because there was probably some famous woman who had a hard time. And now because she did, we all have too. For me it’s not so much the actual # 30, as it is what I am supposed to be like by the time I am 30. Mostly what bugs me are physical things, but I am not going to go into that today. I just need to live with it. So here are a few nuggets of reflection that I am throwing out there for humors sake:
I regret that I didn’t laugh a little more when I was a child. I wanted to be grown up so much. And now that I am “grown up” I wish for a few more carefree days.
I regret that I have felt badly that I didn’t finish my college education. I do feel it is important, but I tried my very best in a most difficult situation. I can’t compare my life with anyone’s and I do that too much. During the time that I moved out and started my college years, my life as I knew shattered and I did my very best to keep my head above water. So I wish I could give myself a little break and not feel so bad about that. It is a goal of mine and I will probably be a 70 yr old college graduate, but hey Kara ease up on yourself, you’re a live.
Along those same lines I regret I didn’t get my cosmetology license. I have a few passions in my life and hair is one of them. I know I could be great. But I was talked out of it. So now I can’t decide if I should go to cosmetology school first or a University first.
I regret that I compare myself to other women. Need I say more?
Now don’t worry this is not a pity party I just thought I would get the regrets out of the way so I can end with what I am glad and grateful for.
I will be forever grateful that I served a mission. I know that we serve missions to teach the gospel and help people change so they can come closer to Christ, but I am the one who did most of the changing. It is one of those experiences that will forever be what helped shape who I am and who I want to become.
I am grateful that I got my heart broken again and again and again. I wear my heart on my sleeve, always have, and always will. As I look back and see many of the same mistakes with many guys I feel that I was at least true to who I am. And who I am is who Chris fell in love with. And at least I know for a surety that no one else is a better match for me than Chris. Most of the time he gets me and I get him.
I am glad I listened to the Spirit and conceived Audrey after just 4 months of marriage instead of waiting for like a year. Everyone tells you, you should wait awhile, but I am glad I listened to the Spirit and not man on this one. I can’t imagine if we had waited and missed that window. Going through our miscarriage and having the difficulties we are having now I can’t imagine if I had ignored the Spirit for selfish reasons. This would have been in my regret category.
I am glad that I cut my hair and dyed it brown last year. It was horrific and didn’t look good at all. But now I know for ASSURITY that I like my hair blonde and longer. Won’t ever be to my waist or anything but it looks best around my shoulders. And this knowledge has saved me a lot of hours of wondering.
**By the way, my birthday party is Saturday May 24th!! If your not busy Memorial day weekend you are all invited to come celebrate the 70's with me. (I was born in 1978)
11 comments:
Thats was really interesting. Ive been doing a lot of reflecting since 30 is only a month away for me too. Wish I could be at your party and Happy Birthday!
Happy 30th! I enjoyed the reflections:)
I am planning on going to Cosmetology school too! Maybe we'll go at the same time so we can email each other and help one another on the hard stuff. I am 32 and believe me, I totally understand where you are coming from. You are such a sweet person. I wish we lived closer to each other. I think we would be great friends.
Hey Woman!
Happy Birthday! And, how is the lifestyle changes with eating going? The second week is usually a little harder than the first! Keep it up! I love you guys! We miss you.
I'm also grateful for my april may june and her little sister who brings such joy to my life and makes me laugh when I can't find my paint and my head is going to explode.
Oh your so wonderful Kara to mention in me in list of gratefuls or is it the regrets.
I hope you had a wonderful B-Day!! Hang in there.....40 is just around the corner :)
I think your Gratefuls way out way the regrets. And you should go to cosmetology school first, at least that way you can make some money. As a mom, a college degree won't really be that helpful unless something awful happens to your family and you have to work full time. Hair you can totally do anytime anywhere, plus you are a natural.
Happy Birthday!
Wonderful Post Kara! One of my favorites I think :)
I know exactly how you feel!! I will be turning 30 this July...and so many things you listed are making me say, "DITTO"!!!
*Merrianne
(Julianne Brewer's sister)
What a great post! I'm glad that you realize you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. I think us women especially have a hard time with this.
Happy Birthday, my friend! I wish I could be there to help you celebrate and to catch up with you!
It is hard to get older...I have turned 30 a few years in a row, now. But life just keeps getting better because of our cute kids and wonderful husbands, huh?
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Love, Jen
This was my favorite post ever! I loved reading every word. I loved how honset and sincere you are. I felt like you were having a heart to heart with me, but it was for all your friends and family. It made me miss the days we had together as roommates or mission companions. I love you so so very much Kara. You are my first best friend, and very closest cousin. It's exciting to start this new chapter of being 30 together. I hope you had fun on your birthday, you better post pictures of your party. Love you!
Post a Comment