Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Hold them while they last


I was going through a CD of pictures my sister burned for me. It is of Kate's blessing. Wasn't she so cute. I can't believe how quickly time flies. Don't get me wrong I know she is only 2, but man how fast those 2 years have flown.

My mom can attest that most of my life I was in a hurry to grow up, or move to the next phase in life. But honestly, once I had kids I have wanted time to slow down.

I have had bad days with crying and misbehaving children, and I have wanted the days to end,
but not the children to grow up.

I haven't really been one to think in my head, oh I can't wait till they grow up. Because I really don't want them to. I finally am learning to live in the moment and enjoy and it seems that time is moving even faster now.

Audrey starts kindergarten in 2 months. She will only be gone for 3 hours a day, but it's everyday and it's a real school and she will be going where big kids go. She will have homework and a backpack.

Oh how I want them to just stay my sweet babies.

I love babies. I love newborns and when they are 2 months and 6 months and 9 months and every age really. I love holding babies and rocking babies and nursing babies. Kate started walking when she was 9 months old and I don't feel like she was my baby for very long. I tried holding her like she was a baby and rocking her yesterday, but that didn't last very long. She wriggled out and ran away.

Because I love my girls so much there are a few things that I just can't be that strict with. No matter how hard I try I give in. We have a good bedtime routine and they go to bed really well.

But I can never say no to one more song or when Kate asks, " Way down wiff me mom."

Oh how that melts my heart, and oh how I know that in a few short years she will not want me to "way down wiff her." Last night Audrey had a real bad dream and was scared to fall asleep. So tonight I "wayed down with her" till she feel asleep.

So tonight I am taking comfort in the fact that they still are my babies a little longer.

And tonight they still wanted mommy.

3 comments:

Niki said...

Kara- I feel the exact same way about my kids. I love babies and can't believe they are growing up so fast. Anna can always scam an extra song or book out of me if she'll cuddle with me:)

Tanya McKibben said...

Your post made me cry. You are such a beautiful person. I miss you. I love you. I love the babies too, I can't believe how fast they grow up.

Derek and Emily said...

I am loving every minute with my new little one... well maybe not EVERY minute, but he sure is wonderful!